Thursday, 23 October 2008

Raw Food Experiments

Kids, you gotta love 'em!

Last weekend, I catered for about 20 parents and kiddies at my sister's activity centre (Teeny Tiny Tapir... check out tinytapir.com too!). I made a completely raw spread which had mixed results but overall the kids were the ones who were into it. Unfortunately there were some kids who were allergic to nuts (interesting how they are usually of caucasian descent) so they didn't get to try a lot of the dishes.

The awesome thing is that I worried about budgeting (about RM10 per person) especially since I wanted to use organic food, but I was UNDER budget!

Here's what I made: (all Organic)
- Chocolate Banana Pie (Cacao, Banana, Avocado, Dates, Sunflower Seeds, Ground Flax)
- Green Cauliflower Raw "Popcorn" (Cauliflower, Wheatgrass + Barley Grass Powder, Nutritional Yeast, Olive Oil)
- Zucchini Based No Bean Hummus (Zucchini, Tahini, Thyme, Salt, Olive Oil + Garlic)
- Raw Toona (Walnuts, Salt, Olive Oil, Carrots, Onions, Celery)
- Eggless Egg Salad (Cashews, Salt, Turmeric, Olive Oil)
- Carrot, Cucumber + Celery Sticks
- Ants on a Log (Celery Sticks, Raw Brazil Nut Butter, Raisins)
- Big Green Salad with Olive Oil + Apple Cider Dressing
- Creamed Corn (Corn, Mustard, Coconut Juice, Chives, Celery, Parsley, Agave)
- Raw Chili (so awesome, from Matt Kenney's "Everyday Raw") in Red Cabbage Leaves

All done in 1.5 hours with no dehydrator. Lots of fun, though I was worried because I didn't want anyone to get sick (lots of people are not used to eating lots of raw foods). The funniest thing was that the kids LOVED it! Of course the Choc Banana pie was the biggest success all round, but there was a little indian 2 year old who insisted on lots of Raw Chili, and a lovely 3 year old chinese boy who was gunning for the Green Cauliflower (which for lots of adults was way too green tasting). I was surprised! Just shows you how kids know what their bodies need.

I will be catering a few more events for my sisters, which should be fun! Experimentation...

Might be going to India in November! And I have secured my spots on the permaculture course and sustainability tour in Thailand starting January (panyaproject.org), then hopefully I can go to my good friend Holly's wedding in Feb (Melbourne) and perhaps visit the states when Tricia gets back so we can do a true Cali Raw Food Tour!

:) Things are heating up. Raw food is on the way. I have met (online) some amazing raw foodies in Singapore, and have received emails from other Malaysians who are interested in the concept. I just need to work on how I'm going to market this, because even lots of the vegetarian restaurants that were open when I was here a year ago are closed.

Rawk on!

PS Yes I will post some photos of the food later :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

This article will assist the internet users for setting
up new weblog or even a weblog from start to end.


Here is my web site: weightloss tips